The goal of Families Reading Around Neighborhoods is to assist families in improving and integrating adult education, early childhood education, parenting, health information, and everyday living skills into a unified family literacy program.
To Apply, parents must bring:
- Parent ID
- Birth Record for the Child
- Social Security Card for the Child
- Immunization Record for the Child
- Medical Proof of Child’s Disability (if applicable)
- Medical Proof of Pregnancy (if applicable)
- Proof of Income or Student (please bring all that apply):
- Income Tax Form 1040
- TANF documentation
- Pay stub or pay envelopes
- Unemployment documentation
- Written statement from employers
- Foster care reimbursement
- SSI documentation
- Documentation of no income
- Food Stamp Printout or
- SSI/SS Award Letter or
- Financial Aid Award Letters
- Proof of Residency (Utility Bill or Copy of Lease)
- Family MUST live in Vermilion Parish or the 70501, 70503, 70506 and 70507 zip codes only in Lafayette.
- Children must be between the ages of 0-2.
- Must meet Federal Poverty Income Guideline.
- To be eligible for home–based services a child may be between birth and three years of age.
- The child must be living with a parent/guardian who is available to meet for 90 minutes each week in the home.
These services support our PACT for Education by addressing kindergarten readiness. United Way of Acadiana received a multi-year, federal grant for more than $3 million from the federal Administration for Children & Families Office of Head Start to deliver these expanded services to Acadiana.
For more information on qualifications or enrollment, please call 337.706.1200.
Our scope of work is focused on improving the quality of early care and education through three key initiatives:
• Consumer Education and Referral Services
Our free child care referral service includes a detailed list of child care providers in a family’s area based on that family’s needs. Each service
includes resources and materials on your child care options, financial assistance, and much more.
• Foundational Learning Opportunities
Every month, trainings are offered for child care providers through our training calendar found here. Trainings are developed on the needs of
the providers in the area and are offered at various times to fit providers’ needs.
• Technical Assistance
Our Technical Assistance (TA) Specialists are available to provide onsite and basic technical assistance (coaching) to child care providers and
potential providers in Lafayette Parish. Onsite TA (coaching) occurs in the child care centers with directors, teachers, or support staff. Coaching
topics can range from room arrangements to developmentally appropriate practice or any other child-related topics.