Back To Search

Children’s Special Health Services (CSHS)

Children’s Special Health Services (CSHS) is a program for children in Louisiana with special health care needs. A child with special needs is:

  1. a child with a health problem that affects how the child grows, moves, and acts, AND
  2. a child who needs more health services than most other children.

CSHS Commonly seen conditions:

  • Audiology: Hearing Loss or Deafness
  • Cardiology: Ventricular septal defect, atrial septal defect, defect of heart valves.
  • Cleft lip and Palate
  • Neurology: seizures, cerebral palsy, stroke, brain injury
  • Neurosurgery: hydrocephalus, malformations of the brain, spina bifida
  • Ophthalmology: strabismus, amblyopia, cataracts, glaucoma, birth defects of the eye.
  • Orthopedic: Cerebral Palsy, Scoliosis, Club Foot, Spinal Cord injuries, spina bifid
  • Otology: Hearing Loss, Birth defects of the ear, frequent ear infections.
  • Plastic Surgery: Scars or contracture that limit function or movement
  • Family Resource Center: Care coordination services, information and referral for community resources.
Call 1-504-568-5055, 337-262-5616 Ext 106

Practice Address

220 West Willow St. Bldg A Lafayette, LA 70508
Abbeville, LA

Get Directions

    Resource Type(s)

  • Doctors,
  • Therapist,

    Ages Served

  • All Ages

    Payment(s) Accepted

  • Medicaid

    Zip Codes


  • * Doctors and other health care workers provide services for children with special needs
    * Care coordination to make sure a child gets all the services he or she needs.
    * Hospital Care
    * Test: X-Ray, lab, EKG (to look at heart movement), and more
    * Therapy that helps a child (1) move better, (2) speak better, and (3) build life skills
    * Medicine that is ordered by CSHS doctors
    * Nutrition and special diets
    * Equipment: Wheelchairs, braces, and more
    * Parent and family support
    * Help finding home care services
    * Help working with schools and community groups and offices
    * Help shifting to adult life and care

Other Notes

  • A child can get help from CSHS if he or she:
    * lives in Louisiana
    * is less than 21 years old
    * has a health problem that CSHS covers
    * has Medicaid OR meets the CSHS income rules.

    To get help from CSHS, a parent can apply at a local parish health unit or one of the nine CSHS offices. A referral from a doctor, nurse practitioner, or audiologist is needed.